Borovets is a modern ski resort located in the Rila mountain. The resort features luxury hotels, restaurants, bars, shops and a good choice of pistes and lifts. Borovets is an Alpine type resort, providing very good conditions for snow sports during the winter: skiing, night-skiing, snowboarding, cross-country skiing, ski jumps and biathlon, ski-doo, etc. There are ski runs for beginners, intermediates and advanced skiers. See the map of the ski centre, check out our section ''Recommended hotels in Borovets” and book online your ski holiday in Borovets!
Best deals offers in Borovets
Early booking offers in Borovets
New for season 2012-2013
The resort will improve the artificial snow making system, as well as the fun park for the new winter season. This is part of a major investment program for 40 million Euro that has started back in 2006.
The artificial snow making system at ski zone Sitnyakovo (the central ski slopes in front of the Rila hotel) will be developed. New cannons for artificial snow will be installed everywhere in the resort.
For a third year in a row, the resort authorities will continue developing the newest attraction in the resort – Borosport Snow Park. The snow park will offer additional elements and configurations for beginners. It will be serviced by tow drag lifts.
Resort informaton: Borovets is a busy and modern resort with excellent skiing facilities and modern hotels and restaurants. It is situated on the conterminous Borovets col and on the northern slopes of the Mousala ridge in the eastern part of Rila. Huddled in venerable pine woods 1390 meters above the sea level (with highest pistes at 2600 m) makes it a perfect place for relax and recreation.
The resort fascinates with incredible winter sights, sun and excellent ski slopes. The complete quietness of the mountain scenery, the dazzling whiteness of the fresh snow, the crystal clear sky and the scent of the fir threes will grant you with a magical day in Borovets.
Climate: The climate is also considered to be healthy. The winter in the resort is mild and of course with loads of snow! The average temperature during the coldest month January is 4.8ºC. Usually the slopes of Borovets have snow cover from mid December till April. The air in Borovets is clear, free of any pollutants.
Borovets is located just 12 kilometers away Samokov and 72 km from Sofia (the capital of Bulgaria). There is a regular bus transport from Samokov at every 30 minutes.
The real charm of Borovets can be felt during the winter, when the harmony with the nature is complete. The excellent equipment for ski sports attracts thousands of mountain lovers from all over every winter. They can use the 58 kilometers various in difficulty and length ski pistes grouped in three regions: Sitnyakovo – Martinovi Baraki – pistes; Markudjik- 4 pistes and Ystrebets - 3 pistes. The ski slopes at Ystrebets ski centre are the best- and all of the competitions in the resort are taking place there! The resort is a regular host of various winter sports competitions. It has twice hosted World Cup competitions in Alpine skiing. Its biathlon track is one of the best in Europe.
Borovets was developed into a modern ski resort of high class with luxury hotels, restaurants, discos, shops and a good choice of pistes and lifts. Borovets is an Alpine type resort, providing very good conditions for snow sports during the winter: skiing, night- skiing, snowboarding, cross-country skiing, ski jumps and biathlon, ski-doo etc. There are available ski runs for beginners, intermediates and advanced skiers, designed with international markings and multilingual signs. Pistes are bashed and maintained to the high standard.
Mountain rescue service is available 24 hours a day. Telephone contact details: (+359) 887 100 243; (+359) 7503 2450; (+359) 88 1473;
Medical & dental service: The Emergency ski patrol service is available 24 hours a day. Ambulance and clinic (with doctor and nurses) are available, as well as first aid serving all ski slopes. Fully equipped and functioning hospital is available in Samokov. Highly qualified dentists are available at the resort too. Some medical and all dental services must be paid directly to the doctors (clinics). They should provide the necessary bills, receipts and invoices describing the service and the cost, so that you can claim back the expense to your insurance company. It's recommended you call your insurance company and inform them in case of injury. Please follow their instructions.
How to reach Borovets
Borovets is easily accessible and is just 72 km away from Sofia. The resort is located just 12 km away from Samokov.
Public bus transport: Every 30 minutes, a bus/minibus departs for Samokov from South Bus Station (Avtogara Yug). In about an hour the bus arrives at Samоkov Bus Station. There you can take a van to Borovets every 15 minutes. In Borovets, the van stops in front of Hotel Samokov. You can take the van back to Samokov in front of Hotel Ela.
You can book a provate transfer service at a very reasonable price here.
The ski slopes in Borovets
Height of resort: 1350 m
Highest skiing area: 2560 m
Total length of runs: 58 km
Longest run: 12 km
Direction of slopes:North Cross country
Lift system: 1 six-seat Gondola lift, 2 High Speed Quad Chair lifts, 1 Fixed Grip Quad Chair lift, 10 Surface ski lifts, few baby drag lifts. 19 ski runs with total length of 58 km provide perfect skiing conditions for all tourists from December util late April. All tracks are divided according to their level of difficulty and they can satisfy any skill level - beginners, intermediate or advanced skiers. There are three ski centers in Borovets ski resort: Central Borovets ski center – starting from 1337 m altitude up to 1780 m.
Yastrebetz ski center – from 1340 m up to 2369 m.
Markudjik ski center – from 2340 m up to 2550 m.
The cross country trails are 35 km long, designed according to th erequirements of FIS (Federation Internationnale de Ski), at minimum wideth of 6 m. The resort also offers biathlon facilities for training and competitions.
Ski jumping - available in Central Borovets ski centre. Night skiing on lighting is available opposite hotel Rila every day from 5 pm to 10 pm.
35 km cross country skiing terrains are available in the resort. The terrains are designed according to the requirements of the International ski federation.
In 1993 the resort hosted a round of the World biathlon championship.
Ski centre central Borovets offers a 70 m high ski jump ramp.
The resort offers a terrain for cross country skiing at “Shiroka Polyana” (3.5km) and “Varnika” (10 km) sites.
|Ski run||Difficulty||Length [m]||Inclination [m]|
|Markujik 2A||Difficult ski run||1300||280|
|Martinovi Baraki 3||Medium||1260||320|
|Martinovi Baraki 4||Difficult ski run||1240||302|
|Martinovi Baraki 1||Light piste||1160||340|
|Martinovi Baraki 2||Medium||1160||280|
|Fonfon||Difficult ski run||800||0|
|Markujik 0 - beginners piste (Suhar)||Beginners||600||0|
|Markujik 2B||Difficult ski run||0||0|
|Cherveno zname||Difficult ski run||0||0|
|Musalenska pateka||Light piste||0||0|
|Sitnyakovski pat||Light piste||0||0|
Borovets is full of bars, cafes, night clubs, and discos. The night life in Borovets is excellent. The resort is known as the most interesting ski centre regarding party time. Been catering for foreign tourists for many years now, the staffs are known to be friendly and professional. Most of the places work till the early morning, and offer good prices and special 'happy hour' discounts.
Music played is mostly international dance music. Very often special shows are presented at the clubs. There are available restaurants and taverns with Bulgarian national folk music and 'horo' dancing, which some people find very interesting.
There is entertainment for both children and adults in the resort and its numerous selection of pubs, restaurants and bars. Bulgarian folklore evenings are an exclusive attraction featuring lively centuries-old rhythms and dances while tasting native Bulgarian cuisine and world-famous Bulgarian wines. We have selected some of the best restaurants in the resorts to make your choise easier.
- Mamacita's: probably the best restaurant in Borovets. On the main shopping street in front of hotel Rila. Excellent food, steaks, etc. Great serviceand 15 % discount hust for BulgariaSki fans!
- Crown Italian Restaurant: The Crown Pizza in Borovets is the best Italian restaurant in the resort. Situated right in front of the Ria hotel, next to the drag lift on the ski slope, the restaurant offers magnificent view towards the beautiful Rila Mountain and the baby drag lift. 10 % discount for al BulgariaSKi fans!
Borovets is one of the best ski resorts in Bulgaria for night life. Generally the prices in the discos or bars are cheap as usual in Bulgaria. Most of the places around offer 'happy hour' and free drinks. Therefore, be careful with the quantities! The Bulgarian national alcoholic drink called Rakia might be too strong for you.
The bar-people speak English, so you will have no problems with the communication.
The finest Bulgarian beers are Zagorka, Kamenitza, Shoumensko, Ariana and etc.
These are also cheap and available on tap or in bottle. Now world famous brands like Stella Artois, Staropramen and Amstel are produced in Bulgaria and these are available in most bars at good price. Imported beers are available too, but approx. two times more expensive than the Bulgarian ones.
The Bulgarian wine is world famous for the good quality and reasonable price, so wine-lovers can be prepared to buy some more before leaving Bulgaria.
Music at the discos is mostly the latest dance hits and all-time classics in the Karaokes. Ask the DJ to play your favorite song.
The Buzz bar and Revolution bar& dinner are spme of the most preferred places in Borovets.
And to all beginners on the piste: "More beer=less fear" :))
Borovets offers first class accommodation in luxurious hotels or cosy mountain chalets.
We have prepared a special selection of the best hotels in Borovets, offering excellent quality at the best possible rate.
Browse the hotels and choose the hotel the suit your requirements. We kindly ask you to fill in the booking form and a representative of BulgariaSki.com will be in touch with you shortly.
- Festa Winter Palace hotel is unique in furnishing style and architecture. It is just 20 m away from ski run “Cherveno zname” and the high speed squad and 100 m away from the Gondola...
- Alpin Hotel is a small luxury hotel, situated in the centre of Borovets resort, only 20 m away from the ski slopes. It is a quiet and peaceful typical family hotel ...
- Club hotel Yanakiev has a unique location, right on the ski slope, surrounded by forest full of old spruces and fir-trees. The hotel offers a combination of tranquility and beauty right in the heart of the...
- Festa Chamkoria Hotel is situated amidst the beauty of the venerable fir forests, 1200 m away from ski centre Borovets and the starting point of the cabin...
- Ice Angels Hotel is situated between chair lift and drag lifts in the centre of Borovets ski resort. The hotel offers SPA centre, Conference hall, Night club and restaurant with...
Places to go during your ski holiday in Borovets
Guests of the resort can take short tours to some of the most remarkable sightseeing around. We have shortlisted some of the resorts nearby Borovets that worth to be visited.
- We would certainly recommend the world famous Rila Monastery - a famous tourism site in the heart of the Rila Mountain, offering great opportunities for religious tours and hiking trips.
- You can also visit the palace "Carska Bistrica" which is just 10 miniutes walk from the new center of the resort.
- Samokov - a wonderful mountain town with mountain spirit and is rich of historical and religious sightseeing right at the foot of the Rila Mountain on the main road to Borovets mountain resort.
- Malyovitsa – famous as the best site for tourism and alpinism in Bulgaria.
- Govedartsi – the small village of Govedartsi offers great opportunities for relaxing holiday in the mountain amidst crystal clear air and beautiful virgin nature. The resort also offers a small ski slope for beginners and intermediates.
- Panichishte – a great ski and hiking resort right next to the Sapareva Banya resort.
- Beli Iskar – beautiful village, suitable for relaxing holiday amidst virgin nature, also a starting point to numerous hiking routes to the Musala peak.
- The Seven Rila Lakes - Seven Rila Lakes are an attractive spot for keen mountaineers and tourists of all kind. The lakes have glacial origin and each of them is named according to its shape.
Please, post a comment on Borovets mountain resort in Bulgaria.
We will greatly appreciate this. It will help us improve the content of this website, so other people know what they can expect.
- Hotel reviews by our visitors
- Top rated hotels by our customers
- Latest articles and news
- Photos by BulgariaSki.com fans